Tuesday 19 July 2016

Sunshine Ottonians and Saucy Second Empire novels

I slowly started with 10mm Franco-Prussia, Prussian Infantry, to get myself into the mood for painting again and then derailed straight into more Norman (Ottonians), of which I decided to show here a bit. The Perry miniatures are a bit "elven"-like against their Crusader brothers. Next time I‘d like to get some Gripping Beast beauties, even though their price tag is a bit too proud. But I need more horses!

I am reading (still) Tuchman‘s "The Guns of August" and bought Alaistair Horne‘s "The Terrible Year", The Paris Commune 1871 and "The Mistress of Paris" from Catherine Hewitt, about the Comtesse Valtesse de la Bigne (the inspiration for Zola‘s Nana) - to kindle my fire for the Franco-Prussia War again.

I will do some 6mm Baccus for my WW1 project Guns of August. For that I‘ll  take with me the BEF and half of the early French army (counters) on my holidays in France; we stay with friends in the French-Comte, where we will discuss further plans how to erode the British Empire with a bottle of wine or two at the pool. ;)

Au revoir, messieures.








7 comments:

  1. Wonderful minis, shields are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Phil! Will keep the good work going. :)

      Delete
  2. Very, very nice Michael. We can slowly consider some battle in the near future. My Normans supported by Danes against the Roman Empire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bart! Ah, well first I need more late Saxon Horse! And some more crossbows ... and archers ... And its the Holy Roman Empire! ‘cause without all the clerical firlefanz, they wouldn‘t had a fig leaf of a reason to unite behind a warlord, eeerr, I meant king. ... and I need clerical firlefanz then as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Guns of August is great. As is anything by Barbara Tuchman. Nice figures btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... pressed the wrong button ... Errm, I like "A Distant Mirror", then the "First Salute", I'll still have to read "A Proud Tower" yet, anticipating a critical point of view towards the boer war ... ??? hmmmm??? maybe? not?? ;)

      Delete
  4. Errm, I like "A Distant Mirror", then the "First Salute", I'll still have to read "A Proud Tower" yet, anticipating a critical point of view towards the boer war ... ??? hmmmm??? maybe? not?? ;)

    ReplyDelete