Thursday 26 December 2019

At last ...and until the last ... the Greeks again

28mm, To the Strongest, me with some Romans and some against some Romans and Maccedonians ... the December Sunday game of the club. Well even though it wasn't entirely historic (Martian Romans, Spanish Romans, what not romans mixed with my Classical Greeks, you know!) game it was a fun game and my Spartan hoplites pressed onwards vs some Romans quite nicely just until my flank romans broke and them a little later the other flank and then the last part of the centre that just left me ... that was the whole battle. My force now never been defeated (directly) but somehow ending up on the loosing side! You could make a classical drama out of it...
As I forgot my camera, the more detailed rap under here:
http://asienieboje.blogspot.com/2019/12/big-sunday-ancient-to-strongest-wielkie.html

BUT
the last battle in this decade, was a battle with my wife. No - not what you think!
28mm, Classical Greeks, Hail Ceasar+, Spartans vs Athenians and my lovely, better half agreed to play the Spartans, while I was defending the Delian empire. In short, she took the rules, as well as my phalanx amends with strides and in no time, I was pushed in my flank from the unarmoured hoplite allies and lost a complete hoplite unit. That put me on the back foot.

Meanwhile, we had a little cavalry fight where ,I destroyed the spartan horse and some of our peltasts were going to hit the dust as well. That was before the Kings bodyguard (or shall I say Queens?) hit the stage ... nominally/unit wise it was a draw, but Isabella had me in a pincer attack and the bodyguard was just warming up ... I conceded defeat...

That was it from me everybody, a belated Happy X-mas and an wonderful Happy New Year!

The perfect scene set

The Spartans ready to defend her Queen

The Delian Peltasts

The first casualties, mine of cource

two turns into the game, the big clash

the skirmisher are fighting just in front of the backing phalanges

from the spartans point of view

and their General-King

My cavalry victorious but useless ever after ...

my left flank under Spartan pressure

And the Bodyguard (with red shields) gets counter attacked

still my left flank holds ... just on a thread

while my efforst of two holpites vs the bodyguard failes and get pushed back

the left flank is shaken

After my retreat, I sued for peace ... game over  - Spartan won!



6 comments:

  1. What a splendid ancient game, lovely armies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil! All Victrix and Warlords... :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking armies in your harmonious household!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain! Yes indeed, and that after the x-mas holidays and after I persuaded her to try out tabletop battles ... a miracle :)

      Delete
  3. Having a game with a wife - masterpiece. Have both a Happy New Year. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and your better half as well, Bart!

      Delete