Saturday 12 September 2020

Seven Years - Wargame - test game

Me and Peter met for an 28mm Seven Years War test game at his place. I would bring my entire Russians and Austrians (nearly finished) - while my Prussians had to wait, because their are still in the shop(s)...

My Seven Year wargaming project is nearly taking so long as its title, but I had some changes in mind that would speed up the process of leaving blood on the table!

1st I changed the charge order to take 1 support unit with them.

2nd the looser of any combat would suffer the combat damages PLUS on additional reduction in status! If it would be enough that he had to withdraw 2 moves, all his supports would have to move 1 movement back as well.

Peter took the Austrians and me played the manyfold Russians. The set up was plain, some woods and a BUA in the middle.

Peter got the 1st turn and advanced pretty quickly into the hamlet, but somehow got bottle-necked with his Imperial sized units between the two woods. On the other hand, I had more command, but struggled to make my numerical advantage felt - cumbersome, too many units and too many units needed repair.

Then Peters and his fabulous modernised Austrian gunnery system, not to mention his lucky dice annihilated my Russian medium guns. On top of that he shot away one of my veteran grenadier units.

At least at the flanks my cavalry superiority should make all the difference - but to no avail! We had agreed to that the Hussars were normal cavalry (just 2" faster), but again he seems to send me away to my lines again and again! In the end he agreed on a draw, but I think the Russian were in no state to expect an Austrian full fledged attack of his centre, but then we ended the game.

At the end Peter suggested a bonus/malus for "no clear target" (-1) and to speed up the cohaesion decline even further, that the Staff officer can only rally one unit status up regardless - which means that "routing/fleeing" units can only be pushed back to shaken status, after spending 2 SO‘s!!! Next time!

Apologise my camera was set up on non-auto focus the whole time and only a few images were thus representable ... 


Initial set up

The Austrian right cavalry flank

The Austrians came fwd and then got stuck

My veterans/grenadiers to get shout to pieces soon

the big gap in my/Russians centre at some point

the big gap in my/Russians centre at some point without blur

my final Horse attack that rolled too low ...


11 comments:

  1. Looks great, gorgeous uniforms and armies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both armies look very good! That embarrasses me, as my Saxons are still in planning mode...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Bart! All will be good, once you finished them - and white uniforms are particularly easy to paint!!! ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking game Michael, keep up the good work.
    All the best
    Airhead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite the camera settings, still some lovely photos Michael, especially that final cavalry mêlée.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! hopefully more opportunities to come ... :)

      Delete