Friday 6 December 2019

1760 - Testing at Kinnersdorf - Seven Years War 28mm

I just finished my SYW Russian 28mm army and they had to get out to play, and probably loose as thats what fresh recruits do, right? So I enslaved all, including Jack, who lend his not so small Prussian Army, to further test my new rules (Seven Years). Mike was joining him on the junkers side, while Bart memed the overall Russian command with help from Peter and a single Austrian regiment I happen to finished a day before.

Basically the Russians were located/defending two hills and a little village while the Prussians (out numbering the Russians - Jack came with ALL his toys!!!) went to get them. I also wanted to test evasion rules this time, but nobody evaded, haha! So overall, it was a hard stand for the Russians.

First the both parties lingered a while in moving and shooting idly, probably because we haven't played the rules for a while and everybody needed to get into. Then the Prussians, especially Mike went for the attack! While Peter and Jack more or less continued to shoot at each other! The melee over the hill (Bart vs Mike) was especially fierce and I could see a lot of charges and routing and demoralised units. All in all both sides lost two units (OK Jack lost one light gun more, but that was my fault as Ref, while he was on smoke break, I rolled a double 1...) so I counted this as a draw. Remarkable my new Russians weren't slaughtered, hey! But probably would have been, if we would have time to continue.

On reflection: I heard a lot of hmpfing and umpfing about the level of disorder, the 4 status of a unit, Mike proposed to name them by numbers (instead of disordered, shaken or routed  - maybe). Also a call to make the flank/rear attacks much harder (as in more devastating). Which I will probably do. Also I will make the 1st move of the routing unit, a move away, as a mandatory move - and then later on thy can choose between running away or rallying.  The engine and the overall system is easy, but I can see people looking  - and getting confused about - the boni for firing/melee and saves.So, I will probably re-design the play sheet with the numerous boni better (visually) collected together. I think we have to get used to the rules again, as we had a long break since we last played them.

Here some pics of the action on the hills of Kinnersdorf! Later I forgot to take pictures ... Pardonne moi!



Initial set up

the Russians on the hill

waiting for the enemy to arrive

hold your horse!


slow Prussian advance

Skirmisher do skirmishing!

The contested western hill!

lots of actions and shooting the Prussians get decimated 
but also the Russians ...



Final cavalry melee on the eastern flank

while the eastern flank gets quiet again (relatively) you can see the smoke on the western hill!

2 comments:

  1. Behind the smoke screens are beautiful armies...looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! More of them (SYW) to come :)

      Delete