Wednesday 2 February 2022

2 for 1: WW2 54mm Skirmish and Big Sunday Game Ancients TTS

First of all apologises for the long gap ... life, a new job and logistics prevented me from blogging.

So briefly:


WW2 - Skirmish - 54mm Bonanza!

We enjoyed WW2, 54mm, a skirmish scenario by Mike and his lovely "minis" (maxis actually), where British should capture a bombed village in the hands of three German platoons. Of course I choose British, because they had a nice looking tank! And off I go, charge and advance with all my troops like a good old Hussar, until a Panzerfaust finished my tank off in the third round. Everybody was laughing, I should modernise my strategies, so I tried at least WW1 and bombed one house and its Nazi inhabitants. As this was going smoother ... the umpire turned German player and came along with complete armoured truck and a new platoon. Lesser generals would have quit the field, but I managed actually to hold off the whole "flank attack" with just two soldiers (and some grenades) ... in the end it was me who captured a house of the village, so it was considered a minor British victory. And thats completely without having read the rules!


Initial set up, Brits coming in from the right

My tank screeching round the corner ... vroom!

... and got cooked ....

My stormtroopers of Essex advance!

take position

and aim and throw some grenades into the house ...

Then more Germans arrived in my flank

More grenades, ... more dead German ...

So I fought the new arrivals ... with grenades

And some losses on both sides, but in the end I slipped into the empty house!


To The Strongest Ancients Big Sunday Bash

28mm, again with my fellow Greeks and Celts vs the might of the Roman Empire (in different time zones, but hey a couple of hundred years wont hurt...)

My Spartan classical army list was a bit more better adjusted this time and I had time to actually read the special rules. I had 6 deep hoplites, 3 of them elites. And even though the battle was going to and fro and yes I lost some (2 of them hoplits) - they could not break through (thanks to my "ironman" helots who just did not die and killed a roman unit!!!). In fact I destroyed the last Roman unit that emptied the Roman coffers before Campbell with his Celts delivered the coup de grace.

After the first turn, the Greeks on the left form a line!!

Some Romans

Some fellow Macedonians ...

My centre the Spartan wall

The right flank with Campbells Celts

The Greek line that would not falter



Some Romans advance ... piece meal ...

Gaps appear, but on both sides ...

The killer helots from hell, the curse of the Romans

The last turn ... look to the evermore empty roman table edge ...





No comments:

Post a Comment