Sunday 4 August 2019

1668 - at the mercy of the Dutch

Campbell surprised us with "Tiller And Whipstaff" (a naval game from Langton Miniatures) gaming the Anglo Dutch wars by supplying wonderfully built paper ships (by War Artisan) in 1/600!

Bart (Admiral), Alisdair and me played the 3 Dutch and Campbell (admiral), Mike and his son Alisdair played the 3 British ships. We came in from the long edges of the table and the wind was blowing from topside near my table edge, hahahar!

While all the British just concentrated on chasing Bart, I fell back for my targets to chase them with the wind. Mikes ship got in between as he tried to cross against it but just earned two "crossing of the T" from my ship - ouch!

Meanwhile Bart got pummeled by Campbell and Mike and then captured! But my ship was close too, so I captured Campbells ship for all it was worth! (Don‘t call me Landlubber again, Campbell!) So after that unfortunate (for the British) Admirals ship exchange, Campbell was sitting in the badly damaged Dutch ship and ... blew off/ caught fire ...

Well it was time to continue to chase Mikes badly damaged ship ... some broad sides later the time out just about saved him ... other wise I would have im sunk!

LOVELY game, super easy and nice and simple (without simplistic) game mechanics. I love it!
Love that period anyway, huzzah De Ruiter! Anyway, we all enjoyed it so much that next week we will repeat the whole excercise again - what a nice new pweriod.

3 Dutch vs 3 British

The British south ward ships of Mike and Alisdair

My little 3rd rate ship the Zeeland, nice amount of guns

While all chased Bart and Alisdair, I lingered to let them in front of me with the wind in my back
Then I followed Mikes ship



Politely broadsides were exchanged

until I crossed his T ... as he tried to escape ...

Which I did then ... again

While Alisdair chased and pummeled our Alisdair

Bart got entered and lost his ship in a fight, flanked and entangled by two British ships

but while the fight was on the other ships I entered and captured Campbells ship

So in fact the Admirals had exchanged ships

But the British had the worse deal, Barts ship was previously heavily damaged

Mike tried to escape me, but I was still too close behind him

CAmpbells ship (former Barts) exploded and caught fire (red dice)

While I fired broadside after broadside into Mike

Bart ship caught fire as well in the end ...

2 comments: