Wednesday 4 May 2022

Skirmishing two for one! Vikings vs Normans and Samurai vs Renegades!

 Coming back from holiday the games that I were organised were skirmishing games ...

FIRST: SAGA, 28mm, Normans vs Vikings, in the middle of the beautifully prepped table was a village and a massive keep. On our (VIKING) side were myself, Mike and Alisdair trying to kill everything in our path and loot the village and or keep. Opposing that were only John and Peter but with the same amount of bands (3) as us playing the Normans.

I haven't played Saga for a long time, but I only remembered that it was about combining attacks and skills to maximise the outcome ... preferably lethal to your opponent. But John played two bands of Normans one of them only (4) milites/ heavy horse men (6 in total!!!)... ouch! I guess my strategical aim was to survive until Alisdair and Mike overrun Peters single Norman band ... hmmm.

What shall I say, Peter kept on blocking away these two britannic Norsemen and succeeded in doing so the whole game.

My only luck was that I was able to destroy two oncoming norman knight units with two of my heathguards, bang in the middle of the village! Then John send the other 4 around the settlement and threatened my rear. 

Inbetween I was able to slaughter his Norman warlord, leaving my Viking one a bit weakened but retreating safely behind the remains of my horde. That was when the 4 riders units of the apocalypse arrived at my back ...

Mike send two of his remaining units to my aid and we were able to destroy these 4 units very quickly, viking style!

We had to end the game, but it is fair to say that the Vikings got the upper hand. We killed a lord, looted the village and keep and send 7 of 8 horse units, those famous Norman riders, into the ground! Valhalla! Bei Odin!

My tiny Viking horde (minus one Heathguard)

Peters Norman warband

Johns two Norman bands overpowering with horses!!!

Mike and Alisdair storming ahead to the keep ...



But Peters Norman are waiting for them

While my two heathguard units set the trap in the village for the Norman Horses

Leaving one Norman warlord exposed ...

while he retreats ...

... Mike and Alisdairs vikings are being repulsed???

The rest of the Norman cavalry comes around the village ....

Mike send some troops to help or we would get wiped ...

the rest of my troops are taunting the Normans with arrows

Peter is deep in a cola induced coma and does not pursue as it seems....



The Norman warlord charges my bowmen ... but I had some dice ;)

I got some casualties but the warlord hit the dust and mine survived! (the one raising the sword)

The other horse units in the rear were defeated accordingly!


SECOND: Samurai, 28mm, Samurai vs Renegades, we were fortunate to play a game prepared by Jack, not only were his miniature collection surperbly painted, but all scenery and token were beautifully and meticulously designed.

Alisdair and me played the Samurai and their retinue and Campbell, and John played the renegades and their rabble.

Aim of the game was just to have fun and to destroy the opponent - simple pleasures are often the best. John and Campbell speed into the settlement as we slowly get to grasp the rules. Campbell samurai lord was too fast and soon got the heat of our units after he cut down one of our lesser samurai!

The hunt was on both sides and it looked grim at the beginning, but then the tide turned as my samurai warlord hunted Campbell‘s and cut down everything in his path - he fled what a coward which the umpire Jack acknowledged and pronounced us victorious!

It was such a thrilling game that I forgot to take sufficient pictures with my phone!


Our troops are about to enter the village

My (yellow) Samurai Warlord and his Samurai sneaking into the village

Our troops follow

the renegades north of the village

Campbells warlord kills Alisdairs samurai in a flurry too fast to capture

then our sergeant gets shot down

my samurai second in command avenges Alisdair

while our troops attack Johns samurai

At the end campbell had to flee and that he did - coward!






 

4 comments:

  1. Great looking games, no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two for one, brilliant! Both quite different but with gorgeous figures and terrain, as always in your games.
    (For some reason I was really taken by those orange dice. They look great all line up!)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! Yes it seems orange dice have a magic, sort of superstitious tradition in our club ...

      Delete