Friday 13 May 2022

890AD - Norman Cousin bashing - Saga revisited

 It was Saga, 28mm, Normans vs Vikings again this club night. Mike and me and Bart were the destructive northern force known as Vikings while Alisdair, Campbell, Peter and John had their try at Norman cavalry tactics (coughing)...

We used a 8x4 table but really had separate battles on it embellished with various swamps, woods and houses. My opponent was Peter with three milites on horses and a unit of bowmen and his warlord.., while I opted for my balanced two heathguards, one warrior unit of bondi and a unit of bowmen and a warlord of course.

First it seems Peter was hiding in the woods and shoot me from afar, so I had to ditch my defensive tactic and advance. Go figure - this was the second time I fought against a shy Norman overlord!

My swordsmen bondi approached and halfed his bowmen that they were no threat to me after that. two survived and lured Peters warlord in to finish them off ...

Last time I developed a rather nasty combination of Heimdall, Ullr and or Thor with my bowmen. This time it was rather successful again - it was able to kill Peters Warlord. 15 hits, then 3 sixes (hits going home) doubled to 6!!! Peter was able to save only 2 of them. His abilities made him to absorb 3 - ouch the last one killed him - mission accomplished. Who cares about ten dead bowmen?

I have to apologise it got so thrilling I forgot to take photos!

Then I approached his three milites on horses with my two heathguards and my warlord. I did some more harm and killed another 2 units of milites and he started to retreat - I had won on points by that time. Well, I like my Norman opponents like a good steak - well done!

We had to end the game then and there as the table edge was near and all of his Norman comrades had left already the table -  Alidair and Campbell were wiped by Bart and only John were able to manage to defeat Mikes hordes of Norsemen.

How come that the Norman horse men are so shy in attacking the Vikings? Mind you I haven‘t read any of the Norman list, but next time I will try them out, even against Vikings!

What I do not understand is the " Envelopment" or "Gallop" skills - it can‘t be that they are just for defensive ... any comments?


Peters Norman knights

And hidden in the woods the Robin Hoods

And thats them waiting ...

So my men had to came forward

in doing so I had time to collect dice ... many

then a  charge and a flurry of dice

later in the game my core heathguards and my warlord in advance to wipe the remaining knights

The bow men on retreat and the last unit of knights as well ... 



4 comments: