Sunday 9 July 2023

1870 - right at the start, wrong footed...

It was time for a 10mm Franco-Prussian Game again, so I took my collections a 6x4 table and Bart and Tim played for the French while me and David tried to save the Prussian from disaster. We tested my quick and dirty "Second Empire " rules (right now nothing more than a play sheet, we started with Black Powder, but it had left the being that and started into something new...).

I actually thought I could give Bart some of his own scenarios, so I had all the Prussians on the table but the French had to come on by piecemeal. What could go wrong?  Though Bart and Tim had some difficulties to get on the table first, David who I gave the left flank to hinder Bart just hesitated. Not because of the rules or the dice forced him so, no but because of .. I don't know ... I guess I just put that to fog of war or friction ... and watched the inevitable enfold... and Bart had all the time to concentrate his forces.

On my side me and time we had a glorious cavalry clash that pretty much destroyed our both cavalry arms. Then he was also preoccupied to get on the table while I shot all at him that was good and ready and loaded...

In the end it was a pretty thrilling game (I even forgot to take photos) - but somehow the French managed to kill more Prussians and thus even won the battle!!!

Congratulations, Bart and Tim, Napoleon III is saved! But I'm still out for Revanche, oh ok that's their thing well never mind. The rules work and I just have to write them down, haha! And maybe tweak them a little, you know the drill.

Initial set up

The hesitant left flank ...

Me and Tim coming in on the right flank, competitive from the out set ... 

If all French would be in, I would be in trouble ...

The French generals confident and effective ...

The right flank cavalry massacre begins ...

The left ... hesitant ...

The Prussian march forward ... to no avail




2 comments:

  1. Glad to see a FPW game, with superb units...and glad to know Napoleon III safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Phil! :) Napoleon III is only safe because I let a newbie taking the crucial flank ... next time though... ;)

    ReplyDelete