Saturday 17 February 2024

1813 - Donnergrollen on the Krawallpass somewhere in the Western Carpathien - fictional Napoleonics

 BIG SUNDAY GAME - 28mm Napoleonics, Black Powder - my Austrians against Barts Polish-French!

The Defender of the Duchy needed to hold the mountain pass and the little village, apart from that the usual "Who-killed-more" was applicable. Both sides had around 1500pts+  to spend... but Bart forgot his remaining 10 Regiments (they were still in their Perry boxes) and just brought his new guns - it was an amicable game. 

First, I was with my Austrians in the unfortunately position to actually attack (never good). Later, I found out that the Divisional mass is excellent to move forward, even under cavalry distress, BUT, not so good for actual combat OR even worse, to advance under artillery attacks - Ouch!

All my units, apart for the Jaegers, were large units, I had ten guns against 18 guns 6 large cavalry regiments against 7 normal and 18 infantry units against 9 - what could go possibly go wrong!

My left flank Cavalry were attacking in dashing manner and  - Huzzah for the Hussars were beating back the Uhlans! My Dragoons (I played my Cuirassier units all as Dragoons to give Bart a chance) stormed forward as little Abteilungen! Now thats is a bit of a gamble, but who doesn't love a bit of a dangerous game, especially when being dashing Cavalry. Thus I was able to give a brigade order AND had a lot of support behind me. Downside they have only a stamina of 2! (small units). They fought gallantly against Uhlans and the whole Chasseur regiment! Huzzah!

On the other flank my cavalry won't move. Thats Austrians for you. In the end they did a bit and fended off the Uhlans who had a really shitty day. Something was wrong with the Uhlans that day - ah, they were newly painted and fresh recruits.

On the centre my Jaegers occupied the first half of the village and my Hungarians and my Grenadiers were advancing on the hills at the same time (Yeah I know, as Austrians unbelievable!) BUT there were guns. Loads of them... many were struck down they reached the top and even pushed some units back... but again the closing fire, even from a shitty dice roll of the defending Polish-Duchy player, did bring them down turn by turn.

In Probably historical Austrian fashion, after the 3rd consecutive attack turn (and the loss of a regiment each turn) I called the battle off and accepted defeat. 

Three lessons, I learned from this delightful battle:

If you have gun superiority by 2:1 in Napoleonics, you have won.

Polish Uhlans can bleed. Hehe!

If you want to defeat the Habsburg masses, make them attack - they sure as hell blotch that up! ;)






Initial deployment on a real battle sized table.

I perefer my units, like my wine glasses - LARGE.

The Uhlans, still happy ...

My Hungarians (dressed as Germans with Shako) ...

My corps advanced.

The Hungarian Hussars are coming!

The hill was formidably defended...

But my masses advanced...

The Grenadiers were ready to attack!


And some Polish Horse artillery waiting for targets ...

The Uhlans of the other flank ...

Then the firestorm began ...

You could hear the thunder in Vienna ...



The Dragoon Abteilungen won the gamble ...

The Uhlans retreat...

Huzzah, from the Austrian side...

But the mountain growled in thunder ...

Even my Grenadiers were pushed back ...

Probably becaus ethey were dressing up as Dragoons, my Cuirassiers did not a thing.



Then the Uhlans attacked the Divisional mass - BAD idea...

My Grenadiers got blown to pieces ...

My right flank had won the cavalry fight ...

The Centre was trying to hold ...

And the Hungarians were successful ... in a way ...

And finally my dragoons moved in ...

Won against men on horses, but got defeated by cannonballs ...

Another regiment bites the dust ...

It was too brutal - no one can win against so many guns.


4 comments:

  1. At least, my freshly painted guns did something. My Uhlans had the same performance as their originals in battle of Mir in 1812. Anyway, it was great game and it was lovely, that finally my Poles are match for your Austrians. But don't worry more infantry (another 2 divisions) is coming and soon more cavalry (a division) as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already have 1500pt and more is coming (I can max mine out to approx 1800) I def need a Russian brigade... :)

      Delete
    2. ... and not a Prussian one...

      Delete
    3. well, maybe if Peter gifted it to me... ;)

      Delete