Thursday 1 February 2024

434BC - Sparta at the luke warm gates

 A 28mm totally fictional Classic Greek Hail Caesar game between the Peloponnesians and the Delians trying to sort out the long war. The scenario was simple -kill as many as you can. The Athenians were: Mike, Peter (as General) and Alisdair (opposing me) and The Spartans were: Bart (as the King) and David,  and myself as the side officers.

Barts strategoi was to hold out on the flanks (the hills) and then break through the centre of the oipoloi of our enemy, oi oi oi. On my part I failed completely - "I'm shit with skirmishers" (Bart) but thank god, before my flank crumbled totally and Alisdair could reap any of his victories - we looked right to the centre ... and there was a BIG HOLE. Bart had charged the Athenian general before he could support his troops (we told him 3 times to do so) and while losing his king - he won the combat and thus the battle.

Alisdair had to be informed by dispatch riders ... hang on there weren't even dispatch riders anymore.

A fantastic game, sadly not long enough - but we will visit the old classics soon enough.


Initial deployment
After Spartans first move ...

Suddenly Alisdairs rabble rushes over the hill ...

And I'm about to lose my horses ...

And the rest of the helots ...

Look to the centre ... looking good for the Spartans ...

A unit of mine climbing the hill and thus losing phalanx ...

And my second hoplite units attacks ...

The Spartans killer attack...

David slaughtered Mikes flank ...

The second round of angry Spartans ... ouch!

Mikes flanks disintegrates ...

But I'm getting pushed back ...

And the last picture of my photographoi  before Alisdairs riders got him killed, the centre breaks through - victory!!!


2 comments:

  1. This is Sparta! Great game. By the way, it was Andy, who broke Mike's troops. David secured his flank with skirmishers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah OK - forgot him totally, yes...

    ReplyDelete