Thursday 9 May 2024

1809 - Wowgram, the Austrians defeat the Duchy of Warsaw

28mm, Black Powder II and Napoleonics for a club night was on the list, so Bart brought his Duchy of Warsaw troops and I brought my Austrians 600pts each and the new rules of Clash of Eagles (well most of them) while assisted by David for the Poles and Mike for the Austrians. One Hill in the middle would have been 10 VP and the VP conditions of the Rulebook.

I gave Mike my flank with the large Dragoon unit and the 4 Abteilungen of Cheveauxlegers plus a horse gun. I had the CinC and two infantry brigades with a regiment (2 battalions, large) and a Jaeger unit and a large Grenadier unit (in one brigade) with a gun each.

Bart won the initiative and moved up the hill.

Mike lost his command roll and didn't move.

I attacked and lost 2 units.

Well that went well! Later Mike attacked a square and that went not so well either. I did not had any plans and thought well, at least the company is wonderful and I had my beer ...

Then I marched forward and somehow took the hill, I consolidated my non existent flank stopped the Polish Uhlans and helped Mike to shoot Davids square off the board.

I'm still in shock and I don't know how we actually managed this. The hill was contested now and we had the upper hand in unit loss points (8 vs 7.5).

Then Bart did a last ditch attack and ... got back on the hill and nearly managed to kill a commander! WTF! Really? Yes his army was in total disarray, but so was mine. As this was the last turn he offered: Would I accept a draw or risk wit my weakened line to retake the hill? 

A real Austrian would have accepted, but sorry, I could not ...

I nearly shot his flanks away and shook all his units and then did the unthinkable - I retook the hill! I inflicted one hit more didn't had to do a break test, but he had to - and he broke ... Austrian victory!!! It is so much more fun with a reformed Austrian army!!!

It was a see-saw battle after my gusto, and yes, Austrians are shite when attacking, but pretty cool when defending or shooting down enemies. Also Divisional mass are cooler for cavalry defence BUT are MOR vulnerable to artillery!!!

Well, until next time - I fear the (club)night when the Wuertemberger will arrive...


Initial set up - THE hill in the middle ...

The hordes from the Vistula!

My long flank ...

First turn Bart takes the hill ...

Pretty disadvantaged ...

The long white line advance ...

And the centre too ...

Clash of infantry ...

but the Austrians get pushed back ...

The hill in firm french (Polish) hands ...

I even attack with a Jaeger battalion!

Repelled and withdrawn the flank ...

But the centre reserve is advancing toward sthe hill ...

The second Jaegers are just sharp-hooting ...

Mike threatens Davids flank ...

but has issues wit the command ...

It looks dire - hill in Polish hands ...

And the Uhlans arrived ...

But we attacked and broke through ...

The last Polish unit on the hill ...

My Grenadiers in Divisional mass hold the flank vs Uhlans ...

Second last ditch attack destroys last Polish unit on the hill ...

But Bart scrambles ...

The Polish all out last ditch attack!

... lost by 1!!! and broke - Victory!!!

The death toll was higher  too ...





1 comment: