Friday 21 February 2020

1863 - Col. Schneider‘s charge

15mm, "Pickett‘s Charge" and Mike‘s and Peter‘s ACW miniature collection for a re-fight of the famous semi-historical battle of Col. Schneider‘s charge. Bart and Mike were the Rebel‘s while me, Alisdair and Peter were fighting for the end of slavery!!!

Nobody told me (Col. Schneider) that the ultimate objective was to get the hill just in front of me - but funnily enough I was the only later charging the dirty and cowardly Southerners! Alisdair did his thing, what ever that was, probably mistaken another hill with no Rebels on it for the objective while Peter was taking all the bullets for us sinners in the centre of the Battle. I use the term loosely, as the cluster of  mis-judged skirmishes hardly deserves that term ...

Well, so I threw away my cigar, climbed on top of my horse and ordered my brigade to attack that hill and then charge. The lads advanced very quick only to stop once to hesitate together with the enemy in a kind of trans american lull. Then we climbed that "rolling" stone and as the fence was a few paces too far away, (the cowardness of the rebels knows no bounds) the boys hesitated only to pick up their rifles and send Johnny Reb (played by Bart) back to Atlanta! the regiment retreated -  a gap in the fence!!!

Then Col. Schneider (me) charged and despite heavy rifle fire and gun cannister, we made it to the fence and fought the scumbags! But God wasn't on our side and I threw very badly from then on ...

We got pushed back and fled very disgracefully down hill, got shot at again and broke, all the New Yorker petty shop owners/rabble were running back to Manhattan and their mothers, damn! How should I tell that my ex-West-Pointlers-mates ... ? Ah, I will light a cigar and dribble something of an successful Schneider‘s charge at the hill that was at first very successful ... something along the lines of ... I threw away my cigar ...

My glorious brigade

Bart‘s rebel cowards

Initial set up 
Lads, advance!



at the bottom of the hill in 2 seconds

while Peters legions were crawling

while we paused for re-loading

Peter attracted some fire

up the hill - for glory -  fire!

The Rebel aimed too high ...

 ... as the Lord said ... but you reap what you saw ... 
then we gave back the favour, NY-style


while already reinforcements were on their way

The Rebels in disarray ...
my iron(y) Brigade finally charges!


but the dices .... 

Meanwhile on the other side of the battle

the unimportant hill is in our hands

my fighting tin can brigade ...

gets too much of the lead and ... 
and runs away ...


Dirty Rebels jubilant

and shoots fleeing men into the back ... typical!



2 comments:

  1. Bloody charges and splendid armies/terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! Yep the rules have definitively the feel of the era. :)

      Delete