Friday 19 November 2021

Battle at Shenanhanandan (or Freefurt) ACW 15mm!

This time it was Picketts Charge, ACW, 15mm and Peters marvelous collection, we had the pleasure to enjoy. As well as the setup and terrain, it was loosley based on Shenandoah or just a 3 bridgehead scenario for me. Bart and Peter were fighting for secession and slavery, while me, Mike and Alisdair were fighting for the nobler cause! 

And we had a plan! Each outer bridgehead was already in (fortified/farm) hands, so we just decided to defend and take the middle furt. Me in particular had the lazy position to bomb the Rebel bridgehead and go straight into a death ride in the middle with my cavalry just to keep the furt open for my combat fellows to close the gap and just keep hold onto it. Nothing much to ask, one would say...

My Infantry brigade with the guns assumed position on the hill and started firing. I took out the rebel guns - so safe flank over there. Then my riders crossed the furt and charged into the enemy horse! Huzzah, we again pushed them back, our cavalry looked a bit less deranged like the enemy one afterwards, but who cares ... even in front of 3 line battalions of rebels! (Barts dice were abysmal, so they were fire locked ...)

Now this would be the part where I would tell you the tale about the glorious pushback of the rebel attack on our heavily guarded bridge head, and the rushing in of the our veteran brigade through the waters ... 

but no. They just didn‘t. Too hesitant! One could get into a fight or get shot or so...

The veterans as well some other brigade were too hesitant to do whatever, apart from moving into position. Rolling with yellow dices that repeatedly produce low numbers (apart from the command phase) doesn‘t help either! If the main assault should be the middle ground you need at least to advance there...

Don‘t let me start on our bridgehead though! Alisdair totally out of sync with his dice! Peter attacked, barraged and then assaulted our position ... successfully, textbook. So we had two contested crossing and one firm in the hands of the Rebels. I even had to witness the CinC, telling me to charge and turnaround the table/tide/battle, as this would be our only chance ... while my men where out of charge distance (the point when just blocking the enemy)...

Congratulations Bart, for winning this battle for the Rebels single-handedly! - Peter must be thrilled.

Apart from that we had a lot of fun - maybe they let allow us tanks next time, that we might have a chance. Or aircraft? Balloons with bomber crews ...  ach!


Initial set up rebels to the right - Yanks to the left

My direct opponent

We assumed position on hill 3



the middle ground advanced

My guns aiming

and the ground trembled ...


My successful cavalry charge!

Peters Rebel are closing in

I‘ll send the opponent back

The furt is free!


Peter attacks!

And send Alisdair reeling

The Rebel bridge head was peppered, but just kept in check...

The centre just as it was before the last turn... and the turn before that ...

This was the last picture taken, after that we presume the photographer was shot by the union command...


2 comments:

  1. It was a risky business, but worth trying. Playing those rules before I knew that moving is not fast. I was hoping you will go for ford and therefore will lose a lot of time, whereas our guys were just in front of the objective. The only thing I was afraid, that after destroying my guns you will charge my boys in the village. Happily, you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well knowing the rules, I know that going for your village would be suicide (1:1). My orders were just to keep the flank and "amuse" you. 3 corps of us were hesitant in the crucial battle phase - so we practically bottlenecked ourselves. And Alisdair did had a chance to hold the village, his dice just hadn‘t. Thats the down side of such systems (33.333%) chance that a whole battalion does nothing, while maybe historically relevant, you can loose battles quite easily, just because of that.

      Delete